The Government of Japan announces the prestigious MEXT Scholarship every year. It’s one of the best fully-funded scholarships out there. If you’ve decided to study abroad in Japan, you must apply for MEXT Scholarship. Applications for the academic year 2023 are now open for international students from different countries.
Offered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, aka MEXT, this scholarship covers everything from travel expenses to tuition fees and accommodation to monthly stipends. The best thing is that you don’t even need any TOEFL or IELTS during the application process.
MEXT Scholarship is open to international students of all the countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. The scholarship covers a wide range of Japanese universities and is offered in almost every field of study there.
Apart from being a fully-funded scholarship opportunity, MEXT can give you the best chance of international exposure in a developed and technologically advanced country. Needless to say, Japan has also a rich culture and world-leading academic institutions.
This article covers the complete details of this amazing scholarship. Kindly read it till the end and share it with other students.
Host Country: Japan
Funded by: Japanese Government
Scholarship Type: Fully-funded
Scholarship Duration: 4 to 5 years for undergraduate, 2 to 3 years for master’s, and 3 to 4 years for doctoral (Ph.D.) programs
Degree Level: Undergraduate, Master’s, Doctoral (PhD), and Specialized Training Programs
Fields of Study: There’re no restrictions on fields of study. The scholarship is offered in almost all fields like Engineering, Arts, Humanities, Medical and Health, Life Sciences, Social Sciences, Economics and Business, Computer Science, etc. in all Japanese universities.
Deadline for Applications: Varies per country
👉 Apply for: Deakin University Scholarships in Australia 2022 – 2023
Eligibility Criteria of MEXT Scholarship
- The candidate must be citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Any candidate having Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible.
- The candidate should be good in health.
- For undergraduate programs, the candidate must have completed 12 years of education.
- For master’s programs, the candidate must have completed 16 years of education while for Doctoral (Ph.D.) programs, the candidate must have completed 18 years of education.
- For undergraduate programs, the age of the candidate should be at least 17 and under 25 years.
- For master’s and Ph.D. programs, the age of the candidate should be under 35 years.
- For Teacher Training Students, the candidate must be under 35 years of age with at least 5 years of active experience as a teacher.
- The candidate should have excellent academic records.
👉 Also apply for: Rhodes Trust Scholarship 2023 at the University of Oxford
Benefits of MEXT Scholarship
As mentioned earlier, MEXT is a fully-funded scholarship and it provides the following benefits.
- All kinds of Education fees like Tuition fees, Examination fees, etc.
- Accommodation will be provided in the scholarship.
- Travel expenses; MEXT will provide you an economy-class airline ticket from your country to Japan and will also cover your transportation expenses within Japan.
- You will get monthly stipends and other allowances. For instance, the monthly stipend for Master’s students is 144,000 yen. Whereas for doctoral students, it’s 145,000 yen. In some locations, the students also receive a monthly cost of living adjustment bonus which is worth 2,000 to 3,000 yen.
👉 Also apply for: University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarships 2022 – 2023
Documents Required for MEXT Scholarship
You will need the following documents during the application process of this scholarship.
- MEXT Scholarship Application form
- Attested certificate of graduation i.e Degree
- Academic Transcripts (The highest degree transcripts verified with official stamps and including grading system)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Health Certificate
- Attested copy of certificate of enrollment from the current educational institution (if applicable)
- Hope Certificate (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Language Proficiency Certificate(s) (optional)
- Abstracts of Thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
- Any other reference documents (if applicable)
👉 Also apply for: Global UGRAD Pakistan 2022 – Fully Funded Exchange Program to USA
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship?
Candidates must apply through their respective embassies by completing an application form and providing the required documents.
For the specific details of the Japanese Embassy in your country, you can check out the official website of MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan). You’ll also find detailed guidelines about the application process on the embassies’ websites for each country. Good luck!
👉 Also apply for: Harvard University MBA Scholarship for International Students 2023